What did you do with your tank(s) today?

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
Do you know if this color pattern is sex-linked? The reason I ask is that in mammals it is; for example, 'calico' cats, in which only females display tricolor coat patterns.
Good question, not sure if that is the case with goldfish too... Now you got me wondering. The vendors are selling both male and female of what they call "Tricolor".

Last edited:

sir_keith

Legendary Member
Actually, now that I think about it, I've sort of answered the question already in one of my previous posts, the one in which I indicated that goldfish are tetraploid. So even if this were a sex-linked trait, a tetraploid organism has two copies of each sex chromosome, so you could have both male and female tricolors. And obviously the vendor has both. In the bigger picture, this is likely to be one reason that there are so many goldfish lines with all these exotic mutations, because tetraploidy allows them to carry those mutations without suffering the consequences of linked genetic lethals. The same thing happens in tetraploid crop species, e. g. maize.

BPSabelhaus

Look, I'm already knee deep in Endler and Human genetics, should probably be learning Betta genetics.

The goldfish genetics will have to wait until they hatch, grow up and start expressing genes that interest me like the light blue on the back of the male butterfly koi that I used as the sire.....

Grrrrr off to Google scholar and Academia lol

Very quick check. It's heterozygous, meaning it can come from both and depends on how it expresses itself in dominance. I'm dealing with that in my magenta snakeskin saddleback colony. They carry purple body and blue tail genes. The magenta is dominant. When I get dominant blue tail genes they express a full purple body which dominates the snakeskin body/ tail genes. I get a pink with purple irridescence body and a black tail with blue irridescence.

The flip of that is the purple body gene that carries blue tail as excessive. I maintain the snakeskin body and magenta saddleback with the purple. The tails are pink, black and occasionally specs of white.

Same thing with the calico. One might express it, while another male or female doesn't. I'd imagine it's similar to the Endlers where you need to see the fish side by side after several generations to even get it to be one sided in the ratio, so you would still get the occasional internal argument.

It's a scale mutation. A quick first cup of coffee summary. I haven't found a nice chart and breakdown of it like I have for guppies just yet. But those took a lot of time to find in the first place. I'm sure there is similar for a much longer bred fish. Much of my goldfish research has been geared more toward very early cultivation of carp, American cichlids, catfish etc... Where fish with albinism / leucism / really pretty patterns would be kept by rulers / cultural icons of civilizations.

We know goldfish were kept for thousands of years. Meso/central/ South America had floating islands of agriculture where they would net and pen large cichlids for food. Why wouldn't a Mayan king have a pond of beautiful Mayan Cichlids? They're in the art, we know they had pens, aquaculture and royal ponds. Why not?

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Yesterday I just did a couple drain and fill water changes with no gravel vac on the garage tanks and then the wife said there was a “smell”… so I did gravel vacs this morning just to be sure there was no uneaten food. The one I usually suspect in the red wolf tank that gets Hikari Massivore, but no uneaten food there. My new suspect may be the goldfish tank that gets the Saki-Hikari. Though no uneaten food, it is the most recent change to feeding in the garage.