Places to buy goldfish online

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Contributing Member Level III
I decided to post about some of the places I have recently purchased goldfish at online and the experiences I've had or in this case still have since I have two fish still on order from two other vendors.

Ive also put links up for other online vendors. I cant vouch for them all or even have experience with most of them, just providing the information I found when I was searching for sellers.

Hopefully this helps others interested in fancy goldfish.

Kind of a nice 'what to look for' guide when buying a Ranchu:

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member

Purchased two 'Lionchu' from them. Loved the 'What you see is what you get' feature. Wished the selection was a bit better with the fish I was interested in, seemed like the Red and White was the most common, which I did want but I did end up shopping at other vendors to get different colors. The online pics were great but I did wish for swim videos which you had to request.

They had a special that was if you bought two fish that were marked as 2 day you would get free shipping. Was pretty much a no brainer to order two so you didnt have to pay $50 for shipping a single fish. Also they did live guaranty for the 2 day which is rare, most companies only do that for next day air only.

Here is what they advertised
Screenshot 2024-04-30 113032 (1).jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-30 104435 (1).jpg

This is what I got, the exact fish shown
IMG_20240503_125044943.jpg
IMG_20240503_124814217.jpg
IMG_20240503_124841032.jpg

The box had insulation and marked clearly to keep cool
IMG_20240503_124308380.jpg
IMG_20240503_124412014.jpg
The packing was outstanding with both fish triple bagged and air pouches to fill in the voids to prevent bags from moving around
IMG_20240503_124603721.jpg
An instruction sheet was included
IMG_20240503_124612267.jpg

The retail store is based in CA, so the fish came in looking very good.

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member

I really like the website with loads of pics and a swim video of the fish in the 'What you see is what you get' category. Very large selection with them having fish that the others did not have.

Box came on time and was typical insulated box.
IMG_20240508_161944580.jpg
IMG_20240508_162017970.jpg
Hard to tell but they use square bottom bags! Fish was double bagged.
IMG_20240508_162029025.jpg
IMG_20240508_162520097.jpg

This is what I ordered, pictures from the website (Apache Ranchu)
Screenshot 2024-04-30 114040.jpg
Screenshot 2024-04-30 114120.jpg
This was the fish that came
IMG_20240508_162321198.jpg
Stressed but now in the tank
IMG_20240508_170813566.jpg

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member

The 'What you see is what you get' was a bit slim but they had a fish of interest so I ordered from them anyways. It was a 'our pick' so we will see what I get.
Original order was place on Sunday 5/5, was hoping they would be able to ship fish out that week
I was able to respond via the order confirmation to ask for a male and also for a larger sized fish (in the 3" category). They responded to my order the next day (Monday 5/6) and said they would pass along my note to the shipping department. I believe these guys are also based in CA.

EDIT 5/10 UPDATE: I feel like these guys are a bit slow to ship out. I placed my order on a Sunday got confirmation on the Monday and they likely could have shipped but now are saying its 'being processed'. Looking up the order online:

The specifics say:
Estimate Shipping Date: May 20 - May 23, 2024 (import delay)
Shipping days (Mon-Wed Only).
Pre-order items may affect your delivery date by a few days if they need to be retrieved from our fish breeders.

That makes me wonder if the fish are even in stock? This was not a pre-order so why should there be an 'import delay'? Hopefully its a good fish because they already are not on my list of favorite vendors...

This was the type I ordered (Again it was 'our pick')
IMG_1730.jpeg

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Have not ordered from but another source:

These guys get some outstanding looking orandas from what Ive seen. Super tempted to get one when the next batch of fish come in. It might make a nice contrast to my ranchu to have at least one fish with a dorsal fin, lol

Edit: ordered a fish on Saturday 5/18 with their new arrivals
IMG_1733.jpeg
IMG_1731.jpeg
I had wanted at least one long flowing fin fish and I like the Tricolr Rosetail Oranda

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Ive bought plenty of fish here in person and online. I have not purchased any goldfish from them but they do sell them and have a beautiful big tank with fancy goldfish on display. You don't get a choice to pick out your own fish online but still a great company to deal with and coming out of oregon, the fish arrive quickly with very little stress.

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Have not ordered from this vendor but he does have some great informational YouTube videos online

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Have not ordered from these guys but have been interested in the past. They have a "Divers Den" that had a 'what you see is what you get, not always a great selection....

Otherwise a fairly decent selection of goldfish

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
This vendor has some EXPENSIVE stuff but many are graded

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Saw this one too, not quite sure bout them, but they do have 'what you see is what you get' selection. I like the fact the prices include free shipping. So while the price appears higher, really not, since other places you are spending $60 - $90 on the fish and then another $50+ to ship it. Plus these guys seem to have a few more uniques fishes.

Sadly this one sold, I would have seriously considered this White Phonixtail Lionhead
Screenshot 2024-05-07 083347.jpg

I notice this vendor gets Lionheads (different that the Ranchu), Goosehead, and Eggfish. These are ones you dont see at other vendors much.

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Just got this in my email from Coast Gem USA
Screenshot 2024-05-08 130253.jpg

Just in case anyone was interested in purchasing from them.

BPSabelhaus

Saw this one too, not quite sure bout them, but they do have 'what you see is what you get' selection. I like the fact the prices include free shipping. So while the price appears higher, really not, since other places you are spending $60 - $90 on the fish and then another $50+ to ship it. Plus these guys seem to have a few more uniques fishes.

Sadly this one sold, I would have seriously considered this White Phonixtail Lionhead
View attachment 13752
Wow,
I don't think I have seen pink before :)

sir_keith: We're getting old, time to go back to basics lol The goldfish tub is my most watched tank, even in winter it's nice to sit by and have a surprise visit from a fish or two :)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
A bit of learning... after the fact, lol. I was watching some videos about how these Ranchu are classed and named. The Apache that I got apparently can be very unstable as to color. The black can over time disappear and the fish may turn more orange. So the consensus was to purchase a larger fish that likely has made its changes already. So hard to say if my Apache will hold true with the black back or not.

BPSabelhaus

A bit of learning... after the fact, lol. I was watching some videos about how these Ranchu are classed and named. The Apache that I got apparently can be very unstable as to color. The black can over time disappear and the fish may turn more orange. So the consensus was to purchase a larger fish that likely has made its changes already. So hard to say if my Apache will hold true with the black back or not.
My black goldfish was yellow with a bit of black at one point lol Then mottled orange with black, now (she I'm pretty sure) is mostly black with orange belly. The color changes from purchase can be disappointing, but it's just growing into what it is :) At least mine were just a dozen feeders. The butterfly koi had a bit of blue when we got it, but the blue is developing a lot more now. Our Shubunkin retained it's basic red / white patterning, just altered the patterns.

Part of the fun :)

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for that info @BPSabelhaus, also the reminder about 'fun', so I dont take this too seriously. Im getting pretty high quality pet fish not graded show fish! Yeah Im very interested to see what the "super black" fish I ordered will be like.

BPSabelhaus

Thanks for that info @BPSabelhaus, also the reminder about 'fun', so I dont take this too seriously. Im getting pretty high quality pet fish not graded show fish! Yeah Im very interested to see what the "super black" fish I ordered will be like.
Oh I know

But nature gonna nature lol Just sitting outside watching them as the temperature approaches 65 lol

Also, yours were born beautiful. Mine became beautiful ;) What does that mean for these? Can't wait to see em' in a few years when they get settled. All the stuff that gives them their looks is genetically set. Patterns can change depending on environment, predation etc... Things you have control over.

The pond is a bit different just on lighting alone.

Last edited:

DMD123

Administrator
Staff member
A couple unique ranchu are out there and I am interested in but its tough finding good looking ones available that meet the standards Im looking for.

One I would like is called a 'Milk Cow' and yep a high quality one had black patches on a white body and does resemble a cow. Most of what Im seeing out there still has a lot of orange and that is a lower quality fish. But Im staying on the lookout for one still.

Here is a ideal looking fish, not my pic but one off the internet:
dsc_2742r.jpg

Last edited: